MedSolutionan operating division of Medical Tourism Inc.

Drug Eluting Coronary Stenting

Synonyms: Drug Eluting Stents, Heart Revascularization Procedure, Percutaneous Coronary Interventions (PCI)

What is Drug Eluting Coronary Stenting?

Drug Eluting Coronary Stenting is usually performed as part of Coronary Angioplasty procedure. In the procedure for Drug Eluting Coronary Stenting, the implanted stent is coated with a medication that prevents re-stenosis. This type of stent consistently releases a chemical substance that prevents clot formation and narrowing of coronary artery. Drug Eluting Coronary Stenting has been 20 - 30% more successful than bare metal stenting.

Back to Top

Where can I get a Drug Eluting Coronary Stenting?

Country Cost with MedSolution
This procedure will soon be available through MedSolution. (inquire)
Cost of procedure performed in the US: $37,000.
All prices are in US dollars and include the cost of the procedure and minimum hospital stay. Estimates and minimum hospital stay will vary depending upon individual needs and requirements.

Back to Top

Why is Drug Eluting Coronary Stenting performed?

Drug Eluting Coronary Stenting is performed to hold your coronary artery open to facilitate flow of blood to the heart muscle and reduce your chest pain due to angina. The coronary stents physically hold your artery open and create a channel for your blood to flow through it easily. The metal mesh that is coated with a chemical that prevents clotting of surrounding blood and thus helps to prevent re-stenosis.

Back to Top

Who is an ideal candidate for Drug Eluting Coronary Stenting ?

Drug Eluting Coronary Stenting is usually performed as part of the Coronary Angioplasty procedure. So if you are an ideal candidate for Coronary Angioplasty i.e. if one or more of your coronary arteries are blocked, if your chest pain due to angina is not well controlled with medications or if it is severe enough to disrupt your daily activities and also occurs at rest, then you are an ideal candidate for Drug Eluting Coronary Stenting.

Back to Top

What does the procedure of Drug Eluting Coronary Stenting involve?

Drug Eluting Coronary Stenting usually follows Coronary Angioplasty. The area in your groin will be numbed using a local anesthetic. The catheter containing a fibreoptic camera is threaded in to your coronary artery where the balloon is inflated to push away the plaque and enlarge the arterial channel. An expandable metal mesh tube called the 'coronary stent' is implanted at the site of narrowing. The stent pushes open the wall of the coronary artery. The stent can either be made of inert bare metal or it can be coated with a medication that prevents the surrounding blood from clotting. This minimizes the chances of re-stenosis of the coronary artery. Drug Eluting Coronary Stenting may sometime be used as a primary procedure to open the narrowed artery instead of Coronary Angioplasty. The balloon in the stent is inflated to expand the stent; it is then deflated and removed along with the catheter and wire. A bandage is placed over the groin area. Drug Eluting Coronary Stenting helps to prevent re-stenosis of coronary artery; it also reduces the incidences of chest pain due to angina. This procedure takes any where from 30 minutes to 3 hours. Your hospital stay for Drug Eluting Coronary Stenting varies from 1 - 3 days.

Back to Top

What to expect during the pre-operative period of Drug Eluting Coronary Stenting?

Drug Eluting Coronary Stenting is performed as an outpatient procedure. You would be instructed to avoid eating or drinking at least 6 - 8 hours before the procedure. Your doctor may prescribe you aspirin several days prior to Drug Eluting Coronary Stenting procedure to prevent blood clots from forming.

Back to Top

What is the recovery period like following the Drug Eluting Coronary Stenting?

After the Drug Eluting Coronary Stenting procedure, blood thinning medications will be administered through your vein. You will need to lie flat on your back and preferably avoid moving your leg during the recuperating period following Drug Eluting Coronary Stenting. Pressure will be applied by placing a sandbag at the site in your groin where the catheter was passed. You can apply ice at the site in the groin where the catheter was passed for the first two days following the Drug Eluting Coronary Stenting surgery. To reduce the risk of re-stenosis following the Drug Eluting Coronary Stenting procedure it is worthwhile to make positive lifestyle changes like eating a healthy diet, regular exercise and managing your stress level.

Back to Top

What is the outcome of Drug Eluting Coronary Stenting?

Drug Eluting Coronary Stenting has a success rate of almost 95% with the chances of re-stenosis occurring in 5% of the patients. This procedure is less painful and allows you to go back to your daily activities quickly. This means that you will not have chest pain any more and that your tolerance to exercise will increase. Drug Eluting Coronary Stenting has potentially improved the clinical outcome of the procedure of Coronary Stenting

Back to Top

B . R . A . N . D . of Drug Eluting Coronary Stenting

Benefits of Drug Eluting Coronary Stenting

  • Quicker and less painful recovery
  • Short hospital stay, does not require general anesthesia
  • Small incision (Minimally Invasive procedure)
  • Drug Eluting Coronary Stenting can be done under local anesthesia
  • The chest cage does not need to be opened
  • Chances of major post-operative complications like stroke are minimized as heart-lung machine is not used during the procedure of Drug Eluting Coronary Stenting.
  • Implantation of Drug Eluting Coronary Stenting has dramatically decreased the chances of re-stenosis and the need for a repeat procedure.

Back to Top

Risks of Drug Eluting Coronary Stenting

  • Allergic reaction to x-ray dye
  • Allergic reaction to the drug that the stent is coated with
  • Bleeding at the point of catheter insertion
  • Perforation of the artery in the heart, requiring immediate emergency Heart Bypass Surgery
  • Spasm of the artery
  • Heart arrhythmia (abnormal heart beats)
  • Heart attack
  • Stroke
  • Blood clots may form and travel through the arteries, causing stroke, heart attack, kidney damage, breathing difficulties, damage to an arm or leg, or intestinal damage
  • Infection

Back to Top

Alternatives to Drug Eluting Coronary Stenting

  • Heart Bypass Surgery – This is a much risky procedure especially for older and debilitated patients and patients with other health conditions.

Back to Top

Now or Never

  • Several clinical studies have demonstrated that the procedure of Drug Eluting Coronary Stenting is safe and effective if you do not have symptoms of coronary artery disease; if you have greater than 80 percent blockage of the coronary artery; and if you are at high risk for surgery. Drug Eluting Coronary Stenting is a treatment of choice for coronary artery disease and is used world wide. With the advent of newer techniques like Drug Eluting Coronary Stenting chances of re-stenosis (narrowing) of the coronary artery are minimized. Drug Eluting Coronary Stenting is also cost effective as repeat or radical procedure like Heart Bypass Surgery are seldom necessary

Back to Top

Decision to have Drug Eluting Coronary Stenting

  • Drug Eluting Coronary Stenting has revolutionized the treatment of coronary artery disease. Implantation of coronary stents reduces the chances of re-stenosis of the coronary artery by one third. The procedure of Drug Eluting Coronary Stenting is certainly not a treatment for coronary artery disease however, accompanying lifestyle changes can definitely reduce your chances of a Heart Bypass Surgery

Back to Top

Keywords: Coronary Artery Disease, Congestive Heart Failure, Arrhythmia, Stroke, Kidney Failure, Lung Collapse, Coronary Arteries, Heart Attack, Ischemic Heart Disease, Diabetes, Hypertension, Atherosclerotic Plaque, Chest Pain, Angina, Atherosclerosis, Cholesterol, Hardened and Blocked Arteries, Healthy Lifestyle

Patient Inquiry Form